Pages

Friday 3 September 2010

A reveal

Hi everyone
I have been working on a gift for about 4 months now.
There was no hurry, so I could do it in my own time.
Purchased the wool as I needed it - which did cause me a few problems when they discontinued one colour and another colour dye-lot's changed.  Thank goodness for Ravelry!!!  I was able to buy a full ball from another member
But I was able to work around it and modify the blanket.
I have given you one very small glimpse of the colours

Colours were chosen to blend with D1's home decor
But as I worked on it, the colours started to appeal even more to me
It made me feel a balance between sea, sky and earth

So it was named (in my head only)
"Ying & Yang"

But for the full impact
Here we go

The edging


A close up of the colours chosen
Squares which I turned into diamonds


On my lounge
Oh, look at that - it matches!!!
Maybe I should have kept it ☺



On full display

Details -
Bendigo Woollen Mills 8ply Classic -
Colours - Turkish Blue (discontinued), Prussian, Iris, Mulga, Pampas & Raffia
Hook - 4mm
Weight - 1,750g!!!!!!!!!! Quite heavy, kept me warm while working on it
Measurements - 1.25m x 1.26m

Most importantly D1 loved it!!!!
And it now has pride of place on her lounge

And .......
I miss it

20 comments:

  1. That looks beautiful Maria. I just love the colours you used.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oo, thats gorgeous. I love the colours. Bendigo Mills, my favourite wool source.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You sure are a wonder mum to do such a gorgeous thing then GIVE IT AWAY !!!!
    Cheers
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Maria! This is completely and utterly gorgeous! I see why you miss it. What a wonderful gift you have given. It will be treasured for many years to come, I'm sure.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, Maria - it looks FABULOUS! I like plain granny squares much more than multi-coloured ones - and look how great they look when made up like that! Beautiful colours, too. Well done, yet again, and so darn speedy, even when you're not in a rush.

    Caz from Never Knew :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my this is beautiful! A really nice piece of work.
    I love the colours you chose for this.
    Congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Maria, this is awesome. Oh these colours are so beautiful and calming. I have not yet ordered from Bendigo Woollen Mills only just receiving my sample cards in the mail. You are happy with their yarn? It looks awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. 'Tis gorgeous Maria, I love the colours.

    Tania

    ReplyDelete
  9. That's just beautiful - I love that steely grey colour a lot

    ReplyDelete
  10. She sure is one lucky gal. I so love the blues. What a wonderful border... doesn't a border just make the blanket look so "finished". So, what is next up your sleeve. Have a great weekend.

    Toodles,
    Kate

    ReplyDelete
  11. Love it Maria. I thought you had been a little quiet. You've been very busy by the looks of it. I like these diamonds! Great fun. Such beautiful work, have a good weekend, Hugs Suex

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ooooh, Love ,love, love your blanket !!!
    Ther colours are wonderful ,and the diamond stripes are very effective.
    Jacquie x

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful Maria... Love the colours :))

    ReplyDelete
  14. All I can say is......WOW! Tremendous work. Love the colors.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is brilliant Maria! You have obviously been working hard on this blanket, bet your glad tosee in finished and in one piece now? Well done, its great! Thanks for popping over to my blog too!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow!
    That is a gorgeous blanket!
    Love the colors and love the diamonds.
    Quite the effect.

    I'm sure daughter loves it :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Wow, this is beautiful Maria!! I love the colours and pattern. What a wonderful gift :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. I think I would miss it too - it really is lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. I love this afghan! Is this your own pattern? Or purchase? I would love to purchase the pattern.

    ReplyDelete