Sunday, 10 July 2011

Witches Wicks

Hi everyone

This is what working with acrylic does for me

See that little piece of skin lifting near the cuticle
Well that catches the yarn
But only with acrylic, no probs at all with natural fibres
Thankfully this should be nearly the last of the gifted acrylic which I am using for charity items

My Mum use to call them "Witches Wicks"
Don't know why or where the name came from

Anyone else have a name for them?


  1. yep been there - and yes only with synthetics

  2. I use acrylic probably 80% of the time with cotton the other 20%. I have never had any "Witches Wicks". Mostly I get acrylic that is very soft so I don't know if that makes a difference. Maybe I don't get them because of the way I hold my yarn. I don't hold my index finger up in the air with the yarn. Just guessing here...

  3. Hi Maria,

    Ive had a few 'witches wicks' in my time, but I will now have to observe to see if there is a connection to acrylic yarn.

    I much prefer to use wool, because if feels so nice to hold, but I have been using acrylic lately - the one from spotlight, moda vera somethingorother...