Pages

Wednesday 14 October 2009

Ripple green baby cot blanket


Ripple green, originally uploaded by Aussie Maria.

Hi everyone

I have been working on this for a little while, trying new techniques. I am a self-taught crocheter and I worked this by going through the front loop and working dc/sc.

I do not like crocheting this way!!!! I was never able to let it flow, it was hard work for me. Never again will I do something this way. It means that I did not enjoy making the blanket.

The yarn also had something to do with not liking it. I bought the green from ebay, it is either a 3 or 4ply doubled, lots of knots and splits. The white is BWM 8ply cotton - yummy and soft. Will definitely be using that again, actually I am using the cotton for my DD3's flowergirls. I worked it with a 4mm hook.

It is also not wide enough for me, but I could not find a way to get around that. So I finally gave up and worked 3 rows of dc/sc down the edge to finish it off as the whole thing was starting to annoy me. It measures 80cm (31-1/2in) x 50cm (20in).

Wish I could find the love that other bloggers do for this type of blanket, so I may have to try again - doing it my way (tr/dc) and larger hook.


On the DH health front, he has completed his first chemo cycle and is doing very, very well - yeah!!! Only 7 to go now :-)

Bye for now

2 comments:

  1. Maria,
    I know what you mean about crocheting when either the wool is wrong or the pattern is wrong. I enjoyed making my daughters ripple just finished but the colours were not me, not my usual pastel colours and also the cushion I worked with double wool to make it a bit more hardwearing if you know what I mean. The cushion was hard to work because I was using two balls at a time, hard work, hard on the fingers. I wanted the colour you se. I am very pleased now with the finished set, but you do learn lessons from it, don't you. Now your ripple from here, looks really really good.I think it was well worth the effort you put in. Now if you want a really easy ripple try mine. BrendaS2 on Flickr my bestest friend down the south of England has a great pattern which she showed me how to do. Also EMCphotos had the pattern off her, and her ripple is coming along great too. But yes, you've done very, very well.Who's the blanket for? Things dont always come up how you want them. For some reason my cushion was a disaster, I covered it up. I started off, bought a cushion, thought it was the right size. Got to the end, too small. Not wide enough, so I panicked and then thought of doing some extra rows of double crochet along the edges to make it wider. It worked thankfully, but I was pleased to finish it. Well done, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally agree with you and my friend Mrs. Twins I see above my comments. When it's wrong, it's wrong. I can either be the pattern, yarn or even worse for me the colors. I have one of those sitting in the corner for our best friends Christmas present. I just can't seem to want to get back at it. It's not the pattern or the yarn, this one is all about the colors. They are totally not in my palette.

    You did a great job to get this far on this one. Hang in there... Go with your gut feeling on the next.

    ReplyDelete