Recently I have been searching Ravelry for a beret pattern, when what should I find but the lovely The Adventures of the Gingerbread Lady had kindly posted a pattern for a very simple one that I just had to try. She named it "The Big Button Beret". It was also completely opposite to what I will be showing you below - it used 4ply/sock yarn and 3-3.5mm hook, I actually used a 4mm hook as the change was too much for my fingers to deal with
Unfortunately I ran out of yarn, the band should be 3 times wider. While it did fit DD3's head, it really needed the wider band. As I don't know any young children with heads the size of WtP it will have to be frogged and rethought
After seeing Never Knew's Rainsong Blanket, I thought the pattern was intruiging and put it on the must-must do list. Then I saw Karin aan de haak's one. Well the rest is history so while waiting for yarn for a gift blanket, I thought I would give this a go with yarn I had in my stash.
Wide enough to put over 2 laps
Long enough to cover the legs and laps
I still see elephants!!!
So I named it "Fantastia"
Details - 10ply/Aran weight
Hook - 6mm/J
(I think I would do a foundation row of sc/dc next time, just for my ease)
Measurements - 145x91cm /57x36in
Pattern found here at The Art of Crochet
Used one ball of each colour - 16 colours in total
I worked 2 rows of sc/dc around the edge with leftover yarn
Definitely will be re-working this pattern
But next time, back to my comfort zone, 8ply/DK and 4-5mm hook
Probably try it with 2 or 3 colours as a baby blanket